8 Ways Your Fireplace Could Be Actually Toxic

(c) Shutterstock

It can worsen asthma symptoms

Unfortunately, your fireplace can be a favorable environment for chemicals that are dangerous to your health. In addition, if you suffer from asthma, you have to pay attention to any trigger that can lead to an asthma attack, and your fireplace is one of them.  

As we said before, fine particles from wood smoke could emphasize your breathing problems and can be really dangerous for people with asthma. Make sure that your fireplace is safe and try to ventilate the house daily.

“Asthmatics should avoid open fires,” says Dr. Tong. “If that is the only way to stay warm, then exercise caution and wear an N95 mask.”

 

(c) Shutterstock

Pay attention to what’s around the fireplace

First of all, before using your fireplace, you have to make sure that that there are no objects near it that can heat up and release harmful chemicals that can adversely affect your health or that can create a house fire. 

“It’s not always what is in your fireplace that poses the danger, but what is around the fireplace and the vents for the fireplace that needs some attention,” says Dr. Tong. “Do not leave plastics or chemicals or cleaners near the heat, as these could be flammable or toxic when heated. Also do not use tape around vent ducts, as this could cause build up of carbon monoxide.”

Also, this winter, try to pay attention to your Christmas tree if you opt for a fake one because they are flammable and can be a fire hazard in your house. Don’t keep it near your fireplace. However, dry evergreen could just as easily catch fire if exposed to heat.

Pages ( 3 of 5 ): « Previous12 3 45Next »

Latest

Lifestyle

Mind & Soul

Trending

Nutrition

Curiosities

Get Weekly updates

Subscribe now